Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Google


Everybody Google’s

               While there were four things to look up I really didn’t have any trouble finding any of them.  So I thought I would start like this to help me fulfill the requirement for the quest.  I can see where finding some of the info would be hard for someone that is not used to using the internet.  But I grew up with the net.  Singling out the important info that you’re looking for is something that I tend to be really good at.



1.            The first document that we had to find was very interesting.  I had heard about it but was not very clear on the details.  I think Eleanor Roosevelt was just trying to make it a point the D.A.R. that their policy is just wrong and she would have nothing to do with an organization that would be so lame as to think that what they were doing was right on the subject of racism. “The Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) - had a policy to not allow African American performers on the stage.”Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum - Marian Anderson.  The search string that I used was just the date of the document: February 26, 1939.  And I found it on the first page that came up.

2.            The map was a little more difficult to find.  I wasn’t sure what it was at first.  It’s certainly not something that you come into contact with unless you’re looking for it.  The Freedom Riders (Reason): American Treasures of the Library of Congress are a group of people that wanted equality for all passengers of public transportation. The search string I used to find this was: ap news features background map.  It came from the library of congress making it seem very legitimate

3.            The Rosa Parks complaint was a nice touch.  I was well aware of the story but once again didn’t know all the details and had never seen the document of the complaint.  I have to say that everyone should stick up for their civil rights whenever appropriate, or to stick up for them selves period. Historical Thinking Matters: Rosa Parks My thought is that when you let people walk all over you it will continue to happen unless you put a stop to it.  I used the search string: J.F. Blake 12-1-55 to find the document.

4.            The roll call of congress that passed the civil rights bill.  I like what you did here.  Now the class has a lot more info about the civil rights acts and how they came about.  I just search for: congress roll call feb 10, 1964.  Treasures of Congress is what I came up with. 



In the end you got the class thinking about things that most people tend not to think about in their daily lives.  It was very informative and I learned a lot.  I must say thank you for an interesting quest.  That was challenging and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment